Thursday, November 5, 1992

Italy - Denmark Trip - Day 7

Thursday November 5, 1992 - Rome, Italy
Work went relatively smoothly today. K.D. Singh was gone, and the office seemed more relaxed. I tried calling Don Norris in South Carolina to get a FAX number so I could FAX him some info on what he would be doing when he replaces me.To call out of the office, I had to call the operator and give them my name, office code, extension, and the number I wanted to call. They said they would call back when they had made a connection. Well, about ½ hour later the operator called back and when they tried to connect me, there was nothing there. I tried calling the operator back but apparently, they had already left for the day. Luckily, I found a FAX number listed in a Forest Service directory Paul had and was able to use that number. Unfortunately, I couldn’t be sure if Don ever got the FAX though. After work, I decided to walk to the Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain and the Pantheon . Trevi Fountain was impressive, and I was amazed at the number of people walking, sitting, and couples making out there (and everywhere). The Spanish Steps were completely overrun with younger people (mostly male). There was a McDonald’s restaurant nearby which I couldn’t resist checking out. This McDonalds was quite different than in the U.S. and had a salad bar that included all kinds of pasta dishes, desserts, etc. They also had an ice cream bar (Gelateria) which appeared to be very common all over Rome. The menu had most of the usual McDonald’s items, but everything was written in Italian and was a little hard to translate. I meant to make a note of the price of a Big Mac but forgot (somewhere around 3,000 Lire?). I got a mixed pasta salad, large fries, and birra (beer)! I later stopped at a local Gelateria near the Trevi Fountain and got a triple scoop cone. Life is good
😋

No comments:

Post a Comment